My inspired kitchen buddy came up with this video recipe for a cauliflower pizza base. I’d heard of it and seen a recipe before but didn’t quite believe it would work. Well, it does and it’s delicious. Much tastier and more satisfying than any grain based gluten free alternative!
For the base, you will need:
- 2 cups grated cauliflower florets
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 egg
For the tomato sauce:
- a tin of organic tomatoes
- two cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp olive oil
Toppings: we used roasted peppers and red onion, chorizo slices, fresh basil and mozzarella.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- Put the cauliflower in a dry non-stick frying pan on a medium to low heat and stir for 10 minutes until it’s drier and cooked. Leave to cool.
- Beat the egg in a large mixing bowl. Add the cauliflower and parmesan and mix well.
- Turn out onto a baking sheet and shape into a pizza base – about 1/4 inch thick with high sides so the edges don’t burn.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until risen and browned.
- While it’s cooking, make the tomato sauce. Fry the garlic in the olive oil, add the chopped tomatoes and oregano and bubble for 20 minutes to thicken.
- Turn the pizza base over and cover with the tomato sauce, add the toppings and bake for another 15-20 minutes.